The design is created with strokes, precise traits and inspiration. The picture puzzles cling to each other and are formed into a finished story. The lack of a figure element violates the concept and brings the cacophony to the choral sound. In the effort to comply with the general mood, the design of pedestrian footpaths should be in tune with the theme.
With the aim to divide the territory and to give it decorative nuances, modern landscape presupposes a creative organization of garden paths. Location of the coordinated fixed-route grid in the area is of great importance, and together with the aesthetic function, it is difficult to underestimate the practicality of the improved paths. They provide clean shoes in rainy weather, simplify the process of taking care of plantings, and complete the buildings and the individual elements into one circle.
The first step is to identify the route of movement to make the pedestrian footpath cover the whole territory, relying on the calculations:
- for a walk in the company of two people—a width of up to 1.5 m
- the paths of marginal importance, not exceeding 1 m
- for moving between plantings—50 cm
If desired, they can be designed with handrails, but always complying with the slope for good drainage. Usually the main avenue is paved from the gate to the porch in the house, followed by branches, in fact, dividing the area into sectors. The observation skills will help to plan the grid correctly. Keep the direction of the beaten paths and “roll up” them into concrete, arranging with tile or using other materials.
Garden trails accompany any decoration, and the variety of composition, laying is proportional to the number of landscape styles. It is possible to experiment with materials, forms and paving technologies. They are allowed to be strictly outlined, serpentine or grouped into islands.
Clinker and concrete
It is better to make the central alley large and use flagstone coverage for its production, taking into account the external weighting, such as a car. Perhaps it will be colored paving stone, concrete, asphalt or an area with loose gravel, as well as brick chips or the entire product, freely put on its edge or horizontally.
The access road from brick will be reliable, and the only drawback will be the duration of the laying process. The block and clinker bricks are highly competitive with it or even better. The additional firing technology makes the last mentioned ones hardened to the weight and the environment, and clinker material is ideal for using it in the yard.
The reliability of concrete cannot be doubted, but you will first have to put the formwork, and only then on the sand and gravel bed to make the screed. The laying circuitry and the choice of materials depend on the overall concept and the range of offers allows to deviate from the prosaic coating, diluting the idea with modern solutions.
Decorative concrete looks equally lovely at the background of grass and mud; it is characterized by a kaleidoscopic range of colors, and thanks to its structural features allow you to apply drawings on the surface. Concrete slabs are different in geometry and the paths paved with “wave”, bricks or hexagon will adorn any garden design.
The principle of laying with paving slabs and paving stones
The adapted version is paving slab. The variety of colors and shapes does not limit the choice, and this fact makes it possible to choose the appropriate variant. For example, the interchanged fragments of the “parquet board” shine with red and brown shades in the sun, and the rectangular configuration allows to form interesting pictures. Due to the color palette of the pigment and the fluted texture the imagination in making compositions is limitless.
Paving stone—neat bars of whinstone, such as basalt, granite, etc.—is the classics of garden pavements. It is preferred for low cost, diversity of products and originality in scheme variations. The material can be placed arbitrarily, but also according to the complicated technologies. Clearances are filled with granular materials or seeded with grass.
The result of paving according to the inline principle is the chessboard, “poles” or “herringbone”. Layings “fan” or “peacock’s tail” cannot be called trivial, as well as a ring scheme, commonly used around water basins. An artistic solution of composite drawings impresses with the visual effect.
The materials of wood, used for the paving floor are popular. As an example, there is garden parquet, made in the form of shields. The version with wooden planks is considered to be practical, since the leaky element is allowed to replace without damaging the construction. And it is not necessary to put them end-to-end on the surface. They are perfectly combined with gravel or small stones. And the idea will be easily simplified at cost without compromising its beauty, if you buy pallets, disassemble them for parts and process with the protective mixture. By the way, with the participation of colored gravel, it is permissible to arrange the stepped trails on the rough terrain.
If you want a non-trivial solution and you have decided to get rid of dried plants—use its saw cuts for paving. Cut the trunk on wheels, treat it with the agent for wooden surfaces, and pave the paths.
Important! When you purchase the material, it is better to base on the type of soil. You should not purchase wooden materials for laying if you have clay soil and in the lowlands. If you want to indulge in your pleasure, refer to the compromise. Artificial stone, imitating the structure or composite board, repeating the saw cut pattern will perfectly replace the porous wood and external difference will be imperceptible.
Paths for ages
The idea of river stone will seem practical. It is acceptable to decorate with it the surface without regard to color, but the path will look noble if conglomerates are sorted in correspondence of matching tones. To get a full match with the chosen style, it would be nice to design a sketch in the computer program. When laying the formwork, it is allowed to be replaced with bricks. First, do not forget to draw parallels, and to put along the future sidewalk the beacons – pegs with a tight string.
The paving technology lies in the following:
- The soil is filled with gravel and sand and they are thoroughly pressed.
To the layer of mortar from coarse sand and cement the pebbles are “ballasted down” at 2/3 height.
A stunning effect can be achieved with the help of illumination and it is needed to consider cabling before the process for this. However, the lamps that operate on battery charging are also sold. Stone-paved steps and paths will sink into oblivion. The work will involve using various conglomerates—porphyry, granite and basalt. The unpolished flagstone from a nearby quarry in terms of aesthetics is not worse than the noble textures. It is divided into types, but gray sandstone is used most often. The algorithm of working with all the stones is subordinated to the sequence: compacted soil, gravel and sand bed, mortar or tile adhesive.
If you are for the domination of greenery, let the grass grow randomly between the plates. Pavement covering or stones simply grow into the lawn and look natural.
“Glamorous” ideas for laying
- When using the same type of material the result is predictable. Do not forget about the winning combinations. The result will please you with the effect of the reasonableness of composite drawings, a successful combination of brick textures, gravel or paving stones.
- If the limitations in choice are caused by one kind of material, add the pieces of a river pebble. Sort it by its tones and color puzzles will noticeably enliven the boring, monotonous design that is especially important in the depressing weather.
- Dilute the standard tile monopoly with the fragments of mosaic of small stones or colored gravel, and the result will inspire you for new compromises. According to this scheme, it is acceptable to manipulate not only the materials but also to make emphasis on the pattern complexity.
- Colored gravel is an attendant idea for working on a complicated area. It will be the ideal material for decorating of chokepoints near the fence or house walls.
- Use a combination of pebbles and bricks. By adjusting the proportions, with each attempt it is acceptable to get puzzles for a new picture, shifting the emphasis from material to color.
- Paths, made of red brick are recognized to be the classics. But if one “dilutes” it with its white analog, gives fluency to the lines and forms into a picture—it will cause the association with the carpet.
- Do not hurry to throw away the unclaimed pieces of ceramic tile. They form a mosaic pattern, and the combination of different colors is identified with the kaleidoscopic strew.
- Do you know about the fact that a rich collection of plastic and aluminum covers will provide a bright and reliable facing? They are not afraid of the weather caprices and easily tolerate our temperatures.
- Decking is an expensive option; it looks presentable and can serve for decades.
The edges of the paths also require attention. They are mounted in the grooves in accordance with the direction line, and the foundation is made before the stage of the main works. The high plastic curbs or constructions with rounded shapes look interesting. Shaped shrubs are an alternative to the brick or concrete design. However, arranging the boundaries is the space for imagination. The garden lamps (bollards), made arches with tight vine or ivy, or colored strained domes will add beauty and charm.