Thinking over the plan of landscaping the homestead land, it would be nice to envisage in the leisure area the organization of water components, such as, for example, a pond, a run, or even better—a waterfall, although, if desired, you can develop the perfect combination of all components at once. Moreover, the water has a calming, relaxing impact, especially when you hear the sounds of its murmur. After spending even 15–20 minutes of such session, you begin to feel peace and relaxation.
Besides, today there is such a variety of materials, easily allowing to implement all this on your land even with your own hands. What is more, it is possible to construct a waterfall even on a small area. The most important thing is to think about the line of the falling water so that it organically fits into the surrounding space. Naturally, if the yard is small, the construction shall be simple.
What are the variants of artificial waterfalls?
It should be noted that even simple waterfalls can bring the attractive look of water jets and freshness to the atmosphere of a private courtyard. Very often, this beautiful decorative element is included into the general design of a rock garden,
a pool or artificial pond.
However, there are other variants of arranging artificial waterfalls. Here are the most common ones:
- tables with waterfalls—let`s start with the fact that there are tables in every yard, for example, in a leisure area or a summer kitchen for serving snacks and drinks, so, if to put such a table near the artificial basin, it will give the opportunity to combine their constructions in the original way, moreover, the concrete ones can be done using your own resources, and the models of glass tables, of course, can be manufactured only industrially, for sure, you will need to pave the water-pipes and communications before creating the waterfall, as well as the wiring to enable the motor working;
- waterfalls-walls—we mean the walls, which are formed by water jets, they may look completely different, vertically sinking strings are the most popular ones, resulting in a beautiful curtain, sinking water jets along the entire house facade are equally effective, besides, the wall with flowing water streams can be included even in the construction of the fence, and if it is a modern style, than the waterfall is very often built right into the wall, located in the concrete pond of the strictly geometric shape, thus, we get the spectacular decorative wall with the waterfall.
- grottos with waterfalls—we mean the compositions of water and stone that look unusually attractive and give a pleasant feeling of coolness, that is particularly topical in a hot summer day, and in most cases, artificial stone , is used for creating similar constructions, a good option would be to include waterslides into design, and color backlight will wonderfully decorate the whole composition, giving it an additional effect, especially in the evening hours
Creating a natural waterfall
In this case, one must have the number of elements required to create a waterfall. If something is missed, the waterfall simply will not look natural. For example, to create not very deep, but sufficiently high waterfall, the following elements, providing it a natural look, are required:
- you will need at least two large flat plates to create two tiers that will provide a spectacular waterfall, each of these plates is supported from below by means of cobblestones (of small, medium or large size), by the way, flattened plates look more spectacular, for example, when the upper one is placed at an angle while the lower one is absolutely level;
- it is recommended to arrange large cobblestones on the edges; you should fill up space with smaller cobblestones.
- you should also set a few flat flagstones of the smaller size on the edges and put small stones thereover.
- to emphasize the expressiveness of the waterfall, one large cobblestone should be set to expand the main area of the waterfall;
- also, it would be nice to put another large beautiful cobblestone outwith the waterfall, however, not very far from it;
- if you use at least one cobblestone with pointed end up, then the shape will change sharply, becoming much more interesting;
- after everything is put on its place, you can add medium and small stones to the composition, including very small ones, resembling in their look large pebbles.
- if you want, you can leave special pockets, then using them for putting plants in pots, however, do not forget that the plants around the waterfall should be set with caution, because for natural look the plants that can be found in nature will suit most of all.
Some more details
The waterfall or the cascade will fit into the landscape design of your homestead land most harmoniously, if you put it on an artificial hill, or on the waterside. The artificial barriers in the form of stones are often used, and the method of their placement, as well as the shape may differ, depending on what will be suitable right for you.
The main thing is to organize the flow of water so that it was falling from the height of one and a half – two meters. Using the watercourses will help to change the size and the shape of the jet. For example, to get a very powerful jet, it is necessary to pass a very large quantity of water through the narrow channels. And for the smooth water running-off, for example, on the surface of a stone, a little water pressure is needed. The effect of “mirror wall” requires a wide and flat drain with side-mounted guiding borders.
And, of course, for the waterfall you will need a pump that will dispense water. Accordingly, the ability of the pump connection to the electricity mains must be provided in advance.