The rustic style originated in England in the early twentieth century has no particular nationality. Speaking about the country style (from English word country “village, country”), one usually has an image of average rural house or city apartment in mind, decorated in accordance with the principles of this style.
Country style furniture – key features
- Ultimate simplicity in everything, combining a craving for nature and some romance.
- Striving for the highest degree of functionality and convenience.
- Possibility to use unique rustic features, formed on the territory of various states under the influence of cultural traditions of these countries.
- No pretentiousness and ostentation.
- Application of the most simple natural materials, as well as textiles made of natural raw materials in the interior finishing.
- Use of a single color scheme, “borrowed” from nature, predominance of light and pastel colors in the interior.
- No cutting-edge materials and technologies.
Country style is most commonly used for kitchen, dining and living room designs. A little less for the purpose of finishing bedroom. Rustic style is almost never used when creating the interior of a children’s room. The basis of any modern interior is primarily furniture. Let’s try to figure out how the flavor of a “rustic home” affects the choice of basic furniture accessories.
The furniture in the interior of a “rustic” kitchen
Before you fill the kitchen space with all sorts of furniture items, you need to make sure that the purchased accessories will meet the country style requirements such as comfort, simplicity and practicality.
Furniture with straight lines and the most simple décor will be appropriate in the kitchen area in the style of country. In such kitchen you can often find these furniture accessories:
- a massive wooden table of an unpretentious shape, which may accommodate a large number of people;
- simple stable chairs or benches, made of wood or wicker;
- sturdy antique cupboards, found in the attic and carefully restored by their owners;
- cozy kitchen sofas of simple shapes;
- wall cabinets and shelves imitating antiques;
- old chests and baskets for storage of kitchen utensils.
On the whole, such kitchen furniture should have a rough appearance. It is known that the country style does not accept the latest modern technologies flaunting, in this connection, the use of essential kitchen appliances will be difficult. The owners of such decorations, most likely, will have to think about how they can “hide” the most necessary appliances so that their daily use was not accompanied by significant problems.
Furniture in a kitchen, decorated in the country style, is perfectly complemented by ceramic plates. These accessories can be placed on shelves and be hanged on the walls. Do not forget the wicker baskets for pastry, tin containers for tea and flowers. The rustic style allows using a wide variety of floral arrangements: in these interiors, bouquets of artificial flowers and live plants placed in pots or stylish vases look excellent.
Furniture in the interior of a “rustic” living room
Very often, designers combine living room, dining room and hall in one space, giving it the unique features of the country style. When decorating this zone, it is only recommended to use typical “country” materials. Therefore, it is necessary to forget about linoleum, stretch ceilings and plastic panels. Glass and chrome surfaces will also be inappropriate. Nevertheless, forged products and furniture with old metal and bronze application fit in well. Furniture acquired for the decoration of such a room is most often made of oak, walnut, pine or cherry.
- In the living room, sturdy pieces of furniture with “a touch of antiquity” will look good:
ordinary cabinets without polishing;
- simple sofas and armchairs covered with coarse textiles of natural colors (beige, pale green, yellow-brown, bluish);
- cozy rocking chairs;
- bookshelves mounted under the ceiling;
- voluminous trunks.
Accessories made with your hands (decorative cushions, hand-made rugs, embroidered tablecloths and napkins, patchwork blankets, covers for chairs from rough materials) will help to give the furniture a finished look in such a living room. A table lamp with an original shade, steady and stylish candle holders, bronze figurines, ceramics and wood will fit perfectly in the interior of a living room.
There is another important point that should be considered in the design of a living room in the rustic style: the room should have a fireplace. Fire can be both real and fake. Owners of cozy small country houses can afford a real luxury – a sound oven, lined with their own hands, where you can prepare food.
Country style is simple and complicated at the same time. Major difficulties arise at the moment when you want to place various devices and appliances that make life in the modern human comfortable and diverse – home theater, fitness equipment and computers – in the interior.
Furniture in the interior of a “rustic” bedroom
A bedroom, decorated in a country style, can be called a model of comfort. This space has:
- large solid bed with headboard;
- simple and reliable tables from different types of wood;
- functional dressing table;
- wardrobe made of rough wood.
When choosing textiles for the bedroom furniture made in the rustic style, it is recommended to use the color scheme, which is already present in the interior: terracotta, green, cream, gold, scarlet and blue. For rural interiors, the plaid textile is usually appropriate, as well as polka dots and flowers. Several elements with stripes would not be out of place.
When choosing fabric for upholstery in the country style, first of all, you should pay attention to the following qualities of upholstery materials: resistance to dirt and durability. It is desirable that the furniture covers can be washed in the machine. This will allow homeowners to avoid paying the costs for dry cleaning.
As you can see, you can let a fresh stream of village air in any interior. And it does not matter where you live – in a country house or in an apartment, located on the outskirts of a metropolis.