Considering the interiors of modern kitchens in the loft style, it is hard to believe that the “loft-mezzanine” design direction did not find their admirers from the start. Those distinguishing features giving special value to this style, at its dawn, were considered essential disadvantages.
Due to the attempts of modern designers, the loft style finds its reflection in the arrangement of most diverse premises. The incomparable coloring of industrial premises is felt both in the appearance of the bedrooms and sitting rooms, but also in the modern kitchen interiors.
Why is loft style good for the kitchen arrangement?
The industrial kitchen design will be appreciated by those who love the spacious premises with enough light and air. High ceilings, painted white, give the room an additional space. Wooden beams, tubes, roof rafters and trumeaus in the apartment may not be hidden or concealed. Due to these attributes, the kitchen will acquire typical “industrial” look.
Loft style does not need the sophisticated décor – subtle colors will be suitable for the kitchen interior (white, grayish, brown, black and blue). The appearance of such kitchen perfectly complements the laconic doors and rectangular windows. You should not select anything special, the main thing is maximum space.
The kitchen in the factory style is divided into the so-called zones. With the help of panel screens and mobile partitions, there is a possibility to create several functional sectors within one premise. For the space zoning, the kitchen furniture may be used in some cases.
When finishing the typical loft style kitchen, the simplest and affordable materials are used, such as following: brick, concrete, rough wood, glass and metal. It is perfect if there are some unplastered walls and concrete floors. In some cases, such surfaces are artificially created – with the help of materials imitating the brick laying or rough plastering.
Seven pieces of advice for creating the loft style kitchen
1. When finishing such kitchen premises the designers recommend outlining one wall with the help of painting it in a different color. There is one more variant: you may leave the surface original or make it look as interesting brick laying or rough plastering, using the affordable decorative elements. If it was decided to create the walls “a la brick”, it is recommended to coat them with the matte white or cream emulsion.
As an option
For the owners of small apartments, the perfect way out of the situation will be the unification of the kitchen premises with the loggia or balcony. The area of a kitchen, in this case, will be extended much, large windows will appear in the room. The light in the room will become more natural.
3. The loft style requires a special lighting. Several artificial light resources should be present at the kitchen. Usually, different lamps and chandeliers are used, as well as the spotlight. The form and style of lighting devices are selected in compliance with the general designer idea. Everything is acceptable here – from classical lamps to the chandeliers made in high-tech style. The window apertures are made maximum open with no curtains or blinds. When arranging the kitchen space in the industrial style you may also use the horizontal blinds.
4. For the floors finishing you should choose the material, fitting well the general look of the premises. This may be both the rough concrete basis remaining after conducting the basic repair and “warmer” types of coating, such as genuine wood. If the floor at the kitchen is covered with the old parquet boards, you may just scrape them and cover with the colorless lacquer. When choosing the cover base it is recommended to take into account the walls coloring – the colors of these surfaces should, if possible, be maximum similar.
5. Choosing the furniture for such kitchen, you should remember that it should be functional and laconic at the same time. It has been said that the accessories for the kitchen in the loft style remind the office items. The furniture should not be too large – such décor elements allow avoiding the interior overloading. In the industrial kitchen, the glass tabletops and metal shelve stands, folded chairs look perfect. Such furniture is used in the country houses and at the summer houses.
It is necessary to remember that the loft style does not stand the closed shelves and cupboards: there should be many open shelves in the kitchen with the kitchen accessories and dishes. It is quite appropriate to have a mobile table and convenient breakfast bar.
7. Diverse accessories will help to make the not very expressive interior of the kitchen quite bright and spectacular: modern reproductions of amateur artists, posters and graffiti, statuettes and popular arts. There should not be many of them: it’s important not to overdose. A few carefully selected items will give brightness and uniqueness to the premise, will underline its individuality.